Evelien has worked with a couple of wonderful theatre makers (see below). She has repeatedly worked with choreographer and dancer Eva Baumann. In November 2018 they premiered #herland, a dance performance in an installative space, inspired by Christine de Pizan`s “The Book of the City of the Ladies”, in Stuttgart, Germany. Evelien is currently working on Eva Baumann’s new performance ‘Schattenkind‘. (Photo: Jacob Berger).
‘Deren Extreme macht die niederländische Komponistin und Sängerin Evelien van den Broek mal mit elektrischem Brizzeln, mal mit engelsgleicher Stimme erlebbar. (…) Vor allem aber ist diese Performance ein inspirierendes Mutmachstück’ – Stuttgarter Zeitung
A music theater performance about roots, growth and loss. MTOTO is the third performance in the triptych by soprano and theater maker Nienke Nasserian, daughter of a MASAI and a MZUNGU. Where in MASAI Nienke’s father, chief of the Masai, is central and in MZUNGU Nienke’s Dutch Venlo mother, the third performance, MTOTO (child), is about herself. About the feeling of being torn between two worlds she sometimes experiences, and which is already apparent in her name. Nienke from her mother and Nasserian from her father: two first names. Evelien has made songs and soundscapes for voice, percussion, piano, field recordings and electronics to create Nienke's inner world.
text, voice, performance Nienke Nasserian Nillesen | percussion Demos Horn | piano Ben van Daal | composition, music production, mixing Evelien van den Broek (‘Zebra’ composition by Ben van Daal) | direction Kaltoum Boufangacha | dramaturgy Silke van Kamp | production dramaturgy Joep Hupperetz | scenography Lobke Houke | photography Loes Korten | audio mastering Richard van Kruysdijk | production Intro in Situ | co-production Opera Zuid and VIA ZUID – Talentontwikkeling podiumkunsten Limburg | thanks to Prins Bernhard Cultuurfonds Limburg and Stichting MCEM
Friday September 18th 2020, 22:00 – 22:45, Musica Sacra Maastricht | Saturday September 19th 2020, 17:00 – 17:45, Musica Sacra Maastricht | Sunday September 20th 2020, 13:30 – 14:15, Musica Sacra Maastricht | Sunday September 27th 2020, 11:00-12:00, Operadagen Rotterdam | Sunday November 8th 2020, Munttheater Weert
Field recordings credits: Tanzania nature sounds recorded by Roubignolle, published on Freesound, cc license. Tanzania family sounds by Nienke Nasserian Nillesen and Ngatait, ‘March village garden NL MarenK’ recorded by klankbeeld and published on Freesound, cc license. ‘MarktBG’ recorded by hanstimm, published on Freesound, cc license. Thank you Freesound peeps!
mutterseelenallein is a Korzo production made possible by a grant of Prins Bernhard Cultuurfonds and CaDance 2006rem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.
Listing of dance & theatre projects:
- Schattenkind (2020), composition and performance for a dance performance by Eva Baumann
- #herland (2018), composition and performance for a dance performance by Eva Baumann
- Tanzen auf dem Malerwanderweg (2017), vocals and composition with electronics for a multi media performance by Jan Doms (LEF Stadsdynamica)
- Solitaire (2012), music for dance. Choreography, dance and production: eva baumann tanz/produktionen, i.c.w. Produktionszentrum Stuttgart. Nominated for the Stuttgarter Tanz- und Theaterpreis 2013, German tour in May 2013.
- Sex. Sleep. Eat. Drink. Dream. (2011), video performance for a multimedia show by Dyane Donck
- Mensch (2011), live audio mixing and electronics for dance by Anouk van Dijk company at the Oerol festival (music: Marcel Wierckx)
- Daydream House (2011), sounddesign for a performance installation by Sanja Mitrovic and Laurent Liefooghe
- A Short History of Crying (2010), music and sounddesign for theatre by Sanja Mitrovic
- Reverse (2007), music and sounddesign for a performance installation by Anne Karin ten Bosch
- Oproer 1783 (2006), singing and performing for musictheatre & dance by CompActlab
- Chimera (2006), composition researchproject commissioned by workshop De Trampoline with voice, dance, motion capture, and live electronics
- Mutterseelenallein (2005/2006), music for a solo danceperformance by Eva Baumann
- mijnhuis=jouwhuis (2005), performance installation by Anne Karin ten Bosch, Evelien van den Broek and Renate Zentschnig
- Thuiskomen/Heimkehr/Homecoming (2005), voice and composition for a performance installation by Anne Karin ten Bosch